PROCEDURE – BACTERIA AND DISEASE SPECIALIST
– Read the article “Water Treatment Plants”
– Complete the celery activity.
Apply What You Read – The Poison Pump
– Using a series of clues, solve a mystery to discover the source of a deadly illness in 19th Century London. You will need these materials:
+ Broad Street Area map
+ Background information
+ Clue Cards and Victim cards
+ Colored markers
Become an Expert
– How can you clean water so it is safe enough to drink? Complete this activity and find out!
Let’s Give Water a Treatment
How Good Are You?
– Ask your teacher for a copy of the Bacteria Specialist test.
– Make sure all of the Bacteria Specialists in your group can pass the Bacteria and Disease test with a grade of 80% or higher.
– Return to your Expert Team and teach the other members about bacteria and disease. Make sure they understand what it is, how it happens, and the effects of bacteria on water, plants, and animals.
Other Expert Specialists are:
– Sedimentation Specialist
– Run-off Specialist
– Litter and Recreation Specialist
– Invasive Species Specialist
– Bacteria and Disease Specialist
– Pesticide Specialist